- Games with obvious cause and effect
- Connect 4
In these games, the decisions that are made have an immediate or relatively short term cause and effect. Making one decision over another can impact an individual’s success (i.e. the tower falls, or your competitor wins). In can be helpful to review the decisions after the outcome and talk about what could have been done differently to get a different/better outcome.
- Games that involve a long or short term strategy
- Capture the Flag
- Estimation activities
- Guess the number of various things (e.g. jelly beans in a jar, toy cars, pencils, spoons in the dishwasher)
You can always talk about the different strategies that were used to make the guess. Which one was the most effective? Would it work a second time?
- Let your child make some functional estimations
- How much pasta will we need to feed the whole family?
- Should we make 1 or 2 bags of popcorn for the movies?
- How many pairs of socks should you pack for a weekend trip?